Have you been an aquarium hobbyist for an extended period of time? Regular partial water changes are recommended for your aquarium. But massive water changes can lead to problems. There are myths and misunderstandings about why this causes trouble.
Do one or more of your fish die without any reason following a regular water change? Regular water change is one of the simplest and most important maintenance tasks for your aquarium, but what should you do if it starts to kill your fish?
In this article, we will look at the importance of water changes, including what they are, when and how to do them.
There are various types of self cleaning fish tank reviews.
Why changing water is important?
On a container of aquarium fish food, they will tell you to feed your fish only 2 to 3 minutes. This is because the fish food will float for only a certain amount of time, then it sinks and joins with the hazard and debris in the bottom of the tank. Depending on the size of the food you feed your fish, the fish will accumulate waste at the bottom of the tank.
At a certain point all of that waste, with the help of bacteria, and start to decompose in a process and produce ammonia. Ammonia is a substance that is toxic to fish, while there are beneficial bacteria that can convert that ammonia into nitrite until your tank is properly cycled.
Nitrites are also toxic to fish. Beneficial bacteria convert nitrites into nitrates. Once the ammonia is completely replaced, the only way to remove it from the tank is to change the water. Routine water changes help to oxygenate your tank water. Fish also need oxygen.
What went wrong?
Does the water change kill the fish? The answer is yes, but it’s not because water changes are inherently bad. The reason is a little more complicated than that. Over time, the byproducts of fish waste, uneaten foods, and dead leaves from plants change the chemistry of the water. Because the fish live in the water, and the changes have happened slowly, and they fix it.
When there is a sudden change occurs in large water, it causes a big change in the makeup of the water, the fish cannot tolerate it and they die. Those who don’t die immediately become depressed and they succumb to disease over the next few weeks or months.